Monday 27 August 2012

Sentence Correction (SC) on the GMAT_ PART 5 (Grammar commonly tested on the GMAT)

Grammar commonly tested on the GMAT
COMPARISON

1. "Like" vs "As"
- Using " like" to compare things or people (nouns)
- "As" should be used in a comparison involving clauses.

 Examples
         Her sister is as her. (Wrong!)
        >> Her sister is like her.

        My dad thinks like I think. (Wrong!)
       >> My dad thinks as I do (I think)

2. "Such as" vs "Like"
- Such as: to indicate examples.
- Like: to indicate similarity

  Examples
            I love animals like lions and horses.
         (This means I don't love lions and horses, I just love animals that are similar to lions and horses)
          I love animals such as lions and horses.
        (Meaning lions and horses are animals that I love)

3. Compare similar things
- Keep in mind that we must compare similar things. 

 Example
 Sarah's house, like her sister, is big and beautiful (Wrong! Because Sarah's house is dissimilar to her sister)
>>> We can correct this sentence in two way.
 Sarah, like her sister, has a big and beautiful house. (logical comparison)
 Sarah's house, like that of her sister, is big and beautiful. (Logical comparison)

4. Comparison must have a similar grammatical structure.
-  Given below is an example of a wrong sentence

      I enjoy playing football more than I like to read books. (Wrong!, not parallel)
 >>> I enjoy playing football more than reading books. (Correct)

5. Comparative and Superlative Forms
- Using the comparative form of an adjective or adverb when we compare two things.
- Using the superlative form  of an adjective or adverb when we compare more than two things.

Examples

  He is smarter than his brother (comparative).
  He is the smartest of his four siblings (superlative)

Learn&Share


Related Posts



No comments:

Post a Comment